Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A letter to my Dad in the Hospital . . . March 14, 2007

This is pic from Christmas of ’72 that my Dad sent me. I’m the short one with glasses, I think I was probably 9. My Father recently went into the hospital for problems with his emphysema, and I’ve been very worried, but now he’s getting better. My Stepsister thought it would cheer him up if I wrote him a little something to make his day a little brighter, so I’m going to share it with you.

Dad,

I remember when pigtails and rabbit fur hand muffs were in fashion
And Santa Claus was REAL
Doing somersaults for the 8mm camera
And acting silly Christmas morning
Pulling my cheese with the popup mice behind me
Was all part of the game
The purple Schwinn bike you gave me
For Christmas in my 5th year was “previously owned”
But it might as well have been made of gold
Because you bought it for me

Easter bonnets and egg hunts at Grandma’s and Grandpa’s
I’d always end up with the least
But you made my tears go away
Swinging me around in circles
It’s hard to be sad when you’re dizzy

I remember my first fishing trip to the Berkeley Pier
When I actual fished and caught a shiner
Ok, I hooked it in the eye, but wasn’t that appropriate?
You taught my how to bait the hook and to be very careful
OK, the screaming kid with the hook in his hand taught me that
But do you remember?

I wasn’t always good
As the fork-tine scars on your hand will attest
I remember with confusion the explanation of divorce
And I’ll never forget the day you left
My brother and sister made you breakfast
I said I wanted to make it for your next week
And sadly with tears in your eyes
You tried to explain to a 6-year-old
Why that wasn’t going to happen

True, we never saw you enough
But I knew you still loved us
Over the years, our relationship has waxed and waned
And right now I embrace the fact it’s at an all-time high
I wish I could see you now
Even in ill health
I know that smile and love is still there
So as soon as you get back home
I’m mailing you a webcam
Cause next time I tell you a joke
I want to SEE you laugh, damnit!

I love you Dad.

No comments: