Friday, September 22, 2006

Well it’s about damn time! . . . Entry for September 22, 2006

Like my Glamour Shot from 10 years ago? My foray into the world of fashion photography, lol. I was cruising through 360 pages the other day and came across this article about Spain’s ban on too-skinny models and I thought it was a great idea! Spain’s models are now being judged on a body/mass index, a score based on your weight vs. height (BMI), of 18% or over. Any model under that is considered underweight and won’t be allowed on the catwalk.

According to a New York Times editorial:
If the industry needed a wake-up call, it got one last month, when Luisel Ramos, an Uruguayan model who had been advised to lose weight, died of heart failure after taking her turn on the catwalk. She reportedly had gone days without eating, and for months consumed only lettuce and diet soda.

For too long society has been wrapped up in so-called “ideal” model body types and the fashion industry (and media) in all it’s various forms have played a serious role. I have never fallen into the trap of “thin is in” even in my stripper days. I’ve had a big booty since the first pair of diapers were put on me, and always been proud of it (my one point of vanity, lol). Not to mention motherhood at 16 gave me a permanent belly pooch that years later having 3 children back to back didn’t help. I like my body. I’m in shape, round is a shape isn’t it, lol?

But I can see how young girls can get dragged into that mindset when they see these beautiful skeletal women making megabucks by just being a clothes hanger. Anorexia and Bulimia are two terribly deadly afflictions that are primarily seen in females. You would think these women and girls would look in the mirror and see that they look like good substitutes for decorations at Halloween, but they don’t.

They still think they are too fat, even when emaciated. I understand how that can happen, believe it or not. I have a similar affliction, though no where as serious or harmful. I know I have long hair, hell it gets caught in my waistband when I put on my pants. But I look in the mirror and think “that’s not very long”, even though I admire other peoples hair (shorter than mine) and think theirs is really long.

Self -mage is a funny thing, there are so many factors in our lives that influence how we look and feel about our selves. Right now this country has an obesity epidemic. Too much attention has been put on what we eat, instead of WHY we eat, and the reasons for overeating (if any). Depression plays a big role, surely, as I have suffered from it most of my adult life and am prone to depression eating.

But overeating is not the only reason for being overweight (of course), metabolism has a lot to do with it as well. I’ve noticed the older I get (the last 10 yrs or so), the weight seems harder to take off, not that I’m trying all that hard, lol. Not to mention my metabolism changed after my gall bladder was removed too. I feel relatively healthy for my weight (BMI index of 36) even though that is considered obese (anything over 30 is), though I would like to be more fit.

OK, got off on a tangent there, so let me get back to where I was going . . . I applaud Madrid for their stand on underweight models, even though it looks to be an unpopular stance at the moment. Next all we have to do is get the fashion industry to quit making clothes in size 0 (zero), and maybe some of these girls will start eating cheeseburgers again.

On a more pervy note, I’m going to an Adult Toy Party this weekend, I think I’ll shop for a strapon dildo . . . (grin)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its that damned smile that keeps me coming back...I read your blog a few weeks ago,for like 3 hours.No I am not a slow reader,I just kept coming back to your picture.I have veiwed you befor,from awhile back.Your fish catching pictures peaked my interest.But has an still remains,that beautiful smile.Dont get me wrong,you have a very enticing body,its your smile,your upfronteness that really brings me back..I joined your cam site.I was hoping some day to see you just smile live..I did try to look at one of the video's,but wouldnt work for me.Wasnt the one with you giving Rod,something he can get anymore(blowjob)or can he?I didnt know you were only 5 foot tall..I did think you were in your 40's though..your awc site says your are in your 30's..Keep smiling,an you will have me smiling back at you..along with the rest of the world.