Monday, April 23, 2007

The Eviction Saga (2) . . . Entry for April 23, 2007

I went to court today for my eviction and lost, even with evidence it didn’t matter. According to the Judge it evidence doesn’t count, in this county a landlord has the right to evict you 30 days after giving you only a verbal notice. I had went down to the landfill office, gone through a shitload of papers, and showed my signature that proved I had dumped my own trash on several “free” days in at least several months.

I even went down and subpoenaed my landlady to prove that per verbal agreement she agreed I could keep the dogs in the utility room at night. Because of the short notice, I only had a couple days I could serve her, and her car was always missing from their driveway.

Sunday afternoon I finally caught her at home while bringing my son over there to collect some back pay that was owed him for working in the chicken houses. I walked up and served her the subpoena and said, “It’s nothing personal” when I walked off.

When she saw what it was she called back to me down the driveway “I’m not going to testify for you ‘Techly’.“ I yelled back as I was getting into my car “I’m not asking you to” and closed the door and drove around the corner to home. I just wanted her to tell the truth.

But with all this prep and defense work I did, none of it mattered one bit. I was looking to being evicted on the 2nd of May and my kids are not out of school for several more weeks. So I asked to I be allowed to stay till the 21st instead. I was silently crying and wiping my eyes and my landlord agreed, as long as I paid my rent and utilities, and the Judge signed the agreement.

I’m determined to try to turn this into a blessing instead of curse . . .

No comments: