Thursday, May 31, 2007

Growing a new set of scars . . . Entry for June 1, 2007

I got about 5 inches of scraggly ends cut off my hair, can you tell from the pic? This week has really had its share of major downs, and not many ups. First off, I got bit by a tick near my knee and didn’t notice for over a day and then 2 days later went to the ER cause it was swelling and wouldn’t stop seeping.

The Doc gave me the usual antibiotics and told me to watch for a bullseye type of rash that indicates Lyme Disease, but I lucked out there. What I didn’t luck out on is the tick wound itself is now leaving an unhealthy looking mound of scar tissue on the inside of my knee.

A few days after that I was also lucky enough to get between one of my dogs and his rope while I feeding them and wearing sandals. The end result was that I got a nasty rope burn across the front of both ankles. My left ankle has only a small friction burn a little over an inch and it still hurts, but is starting to heal.

My right leg is another story. The dog sawed the rope back and forth across the front of that ankle leaving a 3-inch wound and now it looks like its getting infected. What’s worse is that it hurts like hell and I can’t wear any kind of shoes that come near it. I figured the meds I’m taking for the tick bite would help, but apparently not.

It’s almost funny cause it looks like I was in a bondage accident, but it sure doesn’t feel funny at all. I can’t wait to see how that scar turns out. Then to top it all off, that very same dog got his rope tangled up and slipped out of his collar and in his agitated state bit my friends’ son on his butt. It was entirely my fault, if I had only checked on him before leaving for a jobsite this morning it would have never happened.

I got both my dogs 3 year shots last year so I’m sure he’s rabies free, but they still have to have him quarantined for 10 days. In any case my dog Strongbad, who I love like one of my kids, has to go. I decided to take him with me when I visit my kids this weekend and leave him with my ex husband. Of course he doesn’t know I’m coming with the dog, but what else can I do?

So all this thinking of scars made me take an inventory of the ones I already have and the lessons I learned from them. Scars from falls, cuts, burns, and the memories attached. Childhood scars, Chicken Pox scars, scars from fighting. Little pieces of life leaving their mark on me. Scars of wisdom and scars of stupidity, we all have them.

Do you have any interesting scars? . . .

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got the courage to write you. I have been reading your blog for some time now and following your writings. One thing I could tell you is, don't stop to look back! You are a wonderful person and all these things that happen are just lessons that we learn in our lives. there will be times ahead that when you look back you will say: I was back there, now I'm a lot better. Keep the morale up, you will succeed!!! One other thing, you look marvelous with the hair like that.

Tymme said...

I'm (thankfully) low in the scar dept, at least as far as visibility goes.

The only three visible scars I have are one where I stepped through a nail on my foot, a 1" scar just above my left knee when I tore it open after getting hit by a car, and scars from a hernia operation when I was really little.

The scarring that's the worse, though, isn't directly visible... lots of lovely scarring on my inner eyelid and retina from various treatments for a form of eye cancer when I was young.

Anonymous said...

I never really got a lot of scares as a kid. I mainly just broke bones.